Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Fantasy Minute for November 24, 2005: Episode 92

The New York Times has published its list of the 100 most notable books of the past year. Some that jumped out at me were:

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE. By J. K. Rowling. Illustrated by Mary GrandPré. (Arthur A. Levine/ Scholastic, $29.99.) In this sixth volume of the epic series, the Dark Lord, Voldemort, is wreaking havoc throughout England and Harry, now 16, is more isolated than ever.

KAFKA ON THE SHORE. By Haruki Murakami. (Knopf, $25.95.) Two characters alternate in this dreamish novel: a boy fleeing an Oedipal prophecy and a witless old man who can talk to cats.

NEVER LET ME GO. By Kazuo Ishiguro. (Knopf, $24.) This bold novel imagines a school where clones are trained for a terrible destiny.


Richard K. Morgan has just signed a five-book deal with Del Rey which will include a sword-and-sorcery trilogy. Morgan said in an interview Sci Fi Wire . "I just fancied having a crack at old-school sword and sorcery, using some of the technique and tone I've been deploying in my Kovacs novels. ... I'd been talking a good fight about fantasy noir for a while now, about the idea of ripping apart the Tolkienesque decor to focus on the ugly cracks and stains behind, and it just finally seemed time to put my pen where my mouth is."

No comments: